Thursday, June 01, 2006

Aqua Riva, Vancouver(BC)

Aqua Riva
604-683-5599
200 Granville Street,
Vancouver, BC V6C 1S4

A belated Mother's day dinner as mom was very busy on the actual day. She wanted to try another restaurant similiar in style to the Spotted Prawn. We have the Entertainment book and friends had recommended this restaurant to us previously.

Service was a bit uneven to start, no one at the front. The gent fussing in the front kitchen with the tie and shirt just ignored me, he definitely saw me-I had that bad feeling that he was going to ignore me when I was walking up to the host/hostess area, you know the feeling. It wasn't until I coughed and moved towards him that he said anything to me, said someone will be with me soon. Made me stand there, all by my lonesome self for about 5 minutes(yes I timed how long I was going to have to wait for service) It feels like an eternity when you are waiting for someone to confirm your "reservation" especially if you are the only one waiting around.

So I finally get a hostess who knows of my reservation, eureaka! I get shown to a wonderful window table with a stunning view of Burrard Inlet and northshore mountains. Glad for the table, even gladder when I realize our server isn't an idiot like the gent in the tie and shirt. She waits till I've sat down and have been given water to ask me if I wanted a drink while waiting for my companions, bien sur! A vodka martini is what this girl loves!

It was a very nice martini, Stoli. Onto food......

My hubby had Lemon & maple Glazed Sablefish with grilled baby corn risotto, baby veggies, and artichoke relish. He said fish wasn't dry and the risotto wasn't swimming in sauce.

Mom had Seafood linguine with clams, prawns, mussels, and dungeness crab. She loved that they weren't stingy with the seafood as sometimes it feels like they actually count how much they are putting on your dish even if you are paying premium price.

I had Spit roasted duck with a grilled apple, spinach, goat cheese & pistachio saute, date & lime chutney and foie gras springroll. Foie gras springroll was very different and good, the duck was touch bit too dry, otherwise it was fine.

We all had the soup of the day to start which is cream of mushroom, it was very creamy but also very grainy which puzzles me still.

Service was very good except for the gent with the tie and shirt. trust me he is the only one wearing a shirt and tie without an apron which all the servers were wearing. Must be a managerial type.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home